Thursday, November 13, 2008

1897, December 19

From: John Adkins, at 2 Grenville St, Brunswick Sqr. [perhaps this is Grenville St, Brunswick Square, Camden, London;
[Find Grenville St here:

View Larger Map">
To: Alice Annie, at (unstated)

My Darling Wifie:
Xmas will have passed when this reaches you, but it is not too late to hope that it was an enjoyable one for you, and that you did not overtire yourself. I had a letter from Millie tonight asking me to spend Christmas at Sleaford. I think I shall do so. There is an excursion for [s916] which will just suit me.
It will be news to you to know that your sister Florence left Leicester & returned to London today. At the suggestion of Sarah we went to meet her at St. Pancia's & saw her off again to Ware by a later train. I could not very well afford the time but it will not happen that I shall be called upon again soon to do so again.
Sarah does not look so well as Florrie: the latter looks very well & seems much improved.
Today I have been office hunting and think I shall take an office in Paternoster Row - £50 a year.
[Find Paternoster Row here:
View Larger Map">]
Yesterday was dull, wet, muddy, & foggy. Today is brighter & colder: a northeast wind is blowing.
The shops are trying to make a brave show for Christmas: but I see nothing original. Toys & Chrstmas Cards are very much in evidence. There are some very nice things in the leading drapers shops.
Your sisters rejoice very much over our darling's photographs. They say that they cannot see you in her, the would like to see her & you also & they send their love & all sorts of chatter, especially Florrie: how that girl's tongue does speed along!
Take care of our dear one, so that she does not catch cold. How many more teeth? Does she show any desire to crawl?
I do not like this traveling & being away from home, dearest. I shall be glad when our plans crystallize so that I can have my dear little wifie with me again & always.
Believe me, dear love,
Your affect. husband,
John

No comments: