Thursday, November 13, 2008

1897, May 24

From: David Jones, at Sleaford
To: John, at (location unknown)

My dear John:
I must congratulate you on your coming into possession of a daughter of whom you seem to be quite proud; & I hope that the mother and the baby are both doing well. It is gratifying too to learn that you are getting on so well in business. I was rather puzzled to find "J Adkins Jones & Co" on the left hand corner of your letter paper, as I understand that you are in the employ of a firm at a salary. I have not heard from Dewi for many weeks; but I am informed that he has left that for the South. I am afraid that his owing to ill health & is a somewhat hard lot; & I hope he is favoured with that support of spirit which comes only from a sense of God's nearness. We are busy here with preparations for the Queen's Jubilee, the General Committee of which I am a member. We are to have festivities, sports & I hope a cottage hospital. With every good wish for your wife, I remain,
Your affectionate father,
D. Jones
P.S. Please pass enclosed to Gerty [enclosed unknown]

No comments: