Thursday, November 13, 2008

1897 sometime in February

From: Alice Annie Wren, at 488 Waverly Avenue, Brooklyn, New York

To: John Adkins Jones, at (location unknown)


My dearest Jack:

Your's of the 31st [I believe this refers to 1-31-1897] does it really seem so possible as all that, shall we come to England, is Florence to come too? If we come, Hazel is still with us & we are comfortable together. What is the business like now? Baby is well & grows more every day. Glad to say we are all well. I have a cold. How are you? I don't like the thoughts of breaking up.

Yes Susie wrote me a very nice letter, telling me all about your visit home. What result of the pocket book? I hear the trunks have reached the owner; who I should think wept with joy. Gerty & children are with bad colds. Baby begins to try & crawl & wriggles around & plays & says what you say. She claps her little hands. No more teeth yet, but she, I think, is after them. I have not yet sent you lamp I was waiting to hear more certain from you. Florence seems very anxious to know if you have seen your brother. She keeps to her room every evening. I know she has taken it of granted she is to come to England & does not care very much about it. I went to New York with Hazel Wednesday & saw Henry & I told him what you said about coming & he says he supposed if she did go back you would send her home. Tell me how your business is doing & if you are comfortable & does Sarah look after your clothes? I hope so. You know how much I miss you. I have not said much as I am not sure of your address. More next time. I close with love from baby & I am your affectionate wife, Alice

No comments: