Thursday, November 13, 2008

1897, September 23

From: John, at (letterhead states 'U.S.M.S. St. Louis'
To: Alice Annie, at (not stated)

(Letter is typed)
My dear wifie:
It is now Friday morning, and so far we have had a good voyage although I have been under the weather a little. I made a good breakfast this morning at the usually time, in fact I did something unusual, I rose at 4 30, took a walk around the deck, then at 5 had a cup of cocoa and some toast, then another walk and back to bed again.
The voyage so far has ben dull and without incident: the weather has been very dull: this morning we passed a sailing vessel, this is the first we have seen since we parted with the land.
I am sure you must have been tired, carrying baby so long on Wednesday morning. I hope you reached home safely, without taking cold.
When I got to the office eon Wednesday morning I found that they did not ship my samples and I had to get a mpermit to ship them at that late hour, to engage a truckman, to send him to the vessel, to take out bills of lading as well as get my own luggage aboard, so that accounts for my having so little time with you. It was far too bad.
Mrs. Besant is on board with us, she is accompanied by a young Mohamedan. He is at this moment writing a leeter [sic] opposite me. He seems to handle the pen of the ready writer.
We have a head wind and sea all the way so far; we shall not make any record this time, in fact, it appears to me that we shall be some hours late.
There is another bicycle man on board, we are gradually comparing ntoes.
If Mr. Mcdonald forgets to hand Kempster my salary, ask Florrie to drop him a line on the typewriter, Kempster's address is William St.,
----------------------------
Yesterday was a very fine day and as I had my best sea legs on I enjoyed it very much. Nothing of incident occurred except the ptssing of a tramp steamer pretty clost [sic] to us and of a sailing vessel at a greater distance. I passed a couple of very good hours away yesterday playing a game of deck billiards, this name does not convey a good idea of the game. We mark out a space on the deck with chalk: this, when done looks something like a hop-skotch board, then we take sticks in our hands with a piece of wood fastened to the end with a shape of a crescent. Standing some distance away we push disks of wood with the sticks to the hop skotch board, whose spaces are numbered. Those who get in the highest numbers, and first make a score of 50 or 100 win.
Today, Sunday is dull, raining and squally.
The runs so far have been satisfactory and we expect to land on Wednesday morning.
I find that the fare to Sleaford is 9/3-1/2d. each way from London.
There are not many ptssengers [sic] on theship this trip, which is better. I have a large 4 room compartment all to myself.
This Sunday morning people seem to be indulging in bed, although they must hurry up if they want a comfortable breakfast, as the salon will be given over to divine service to which I am just going.
We have clergymen aboard and doctors galore
Tuesday morning. Yesterday we made a splendid run and the chances are that we shall arrive at Southampton on Wednesday morning at 10 o'clock, which will be ery good time. Yesterday was dull, while today is bright, fair and balmy. I saw a shoal of porpoises this (early) morning. We pass more ships now, and so superior is our speed that we also overtake them, both sail and steam.
I went through the second class quarters last night and they seem very comfortable indeed.
Today is the day for paying the wine bills and feeing the stewards. Some of the fellows have been indulging very freely
I hope you will not wait to hear from me before writing, as I wish to know how you are getting on: also the little Alice, who I hope is well
Give my love to Florence and read this letter to your.
Your affectionate husband,
John

No comments: