Thursday, November 13, 2008

1897, March 4

From: Alice Annie Wren, at 488 Waverly Avenue, Brooklyn, NY

To: John Adkins Jones, at (location unknown)

My dearest Jad,

I feel oh so disappointed not having your letter today. Never mind, perhaps I will tomorrow. I hope so, for I cannot get on very well without them. In fact no more than you do. I enclose a letter from Mrs. K.

Gertie has been here for the day & it is the first time in 5 weeks. They are very well now at Bloomfield & its Henry's birthday tomorrow. I'll not be with you this birthday, shall I? If not, you'll have to be content with love in a letter & promise of a pudding when I come over. We are well & I am now going in great earnest to break up & I expect my next will tell you about the furniture on its way to you. Can you keep it? I don't want to pay here for that or will not be better off than keeping flat on. I hope dearest you are still well & you had better, after this, send my letters to Gertie's as we leave here by 15TH . Gertie sends her love & wonders if you had her letter as you did not answer it & F is the same; thinks you might write. My nerves are troubling me now I've got my head bad & eyes too; they ache but Babs is still bonny & as full of mischief as can be.

Gertie likes the idea of our being there for a time & I guess F will go this week as I'll have to get rid of her bed set & she will be out of way as she is no use for me in helping – do you really mean her to come over? Why not let her try for a time at least over here you haven't given her the chance have you?

Now dearest Jackie, good night, sleep in peace.

Your own true wifie,
Alice

No comments: